A visually stunning and historically important film. An array of musicians performing a soundtrack that spans genres and decades to create an exciting new cinematic experience. Its passion, art, and yes, were probably taking ourselves way too seriously, but were so darned excited about this project, we can hardly stand it!
Im Amy Faris, and on March 22 and 23, 2013, my husband Scott and I will perform our new original score for the 1927 silent film Metropolis at the Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts Firehouse Theatre in Lubbock, Texas. This is a dream come true for us! Scott was heavily influenced by the movie in college as an art student, and I have always wanted to score a film. Were so grateful that LHUCA commissioned us to work on a project we absolutely love. Plus its a cool parallel that Metropolis was made by a husband and wife team!
Awesome facts about Metropolis Elektro:
- We’re using a broad palette of musical styles - from 1920s swing to rock to dub step to classical to pop and almost everything in between. Which means we get to enlist the help of a diverse ensemble of musicians, from a classically-trained string quartet and choir to a DJ and rap artist. Not to mention a rock band, a trumpeter, a flutist, and a percussionist. And ourselves on guitar (Scott) and keyboards (me).
- These live performances of the soundtrack with the film will be the kick-off of LHUCAs Flatland Film Festival for 2013. What an honor to be included in this series that brings artistic cinema to West Texas!
- Metropolis was not only a science fiction masterpiece, but it also addressed political issues that we see in todays world. Its the story of a dystopian society ruled by a cultural elite and built on the backs of the average working man. Occupy Wall Street and Arab Spring, anyone? So weve asked students at South Plains College to contribute visual art that compares current world events with the class struggles portrayed in the movie. This will be a wonderful, thought-provoking collaboration!
- Speaking of collaboration, we have some amazing community support! First and foremost, LHUCA is contributing both funding and a beautiful, state-of-the-art facility. Were also proud to announce that the Tech Marketing Association (Texas Tech University) is on board to help promote the event. Were raising money to pay our musicians right now, and if you’d like to be part of our amazing support system, heres the link: kickstarter.com/projects/2136470834/flatland-film-presents-metropolis-elecktro.
- If you’re a film buff, youll want to catch one of these screenings. The Firehouse Theatre has a new projector that will really show off the black and white beauty of Metropolis! And we are scoring the 2010 version of the movie, which includes some 25 minutes of lost footage that was just recently discovered!
- Twenty-one musicians will be involved in creating the soundtrack live! A string quartet, flute, bassoon, trumpet, 2 electric guitars, acoustic guitar, piano, synth, Fender Rhodes, drums, bass, a DJ, percussionist and a small choir will perform the new soundtrack synced with the film.
Coordinator of Marketing, LHUCA